Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Halloween Fun with Marshmallows


Make fun, edible cupcake toppers with marshmallows and liquid food color!

what you need:
*jumbo marshmallows
*rolling pin
*sugar or rice flour
*small cookie cutters
*food color
*water
*plastic placemat, silpat or cutting board
*clean/new paintbrush
*plastic paint tray or small containers


scrumdilly-do it!

Set out your supplies in a mess friendly zone. Sprinkle your work surface with sugar or rice flour and set out your marshmallows.You may want to start the flattening process but this should be easy enough for a wee one to do. Place rolling pin over marshamllow and roll back and forth to flatten it out. Flip the marshmallow over after every third roll or so like you would with pie crust. Keep your work area sugared so that the marshmallow doesn;t stick to the rolling pin.Once you marshmallow is flat enough let your kidlet pick out a cookie cutter to cut with. Center cookie cutter over marshmallow and press. Pull excess marshmallow away and set aside for snacking.Set out your flat, shaped mallows and prepare your "paint". I used a plastic paint tray/palette purchased from a local asian market. You can find them cheap at Michael's and other craft stores also. add a drop of food color to each section, using more than one color to mix. Top off with water and viola! Edible paint!Have your wee ones go to town painting their tiny marshmallow shapes. Set aside to dry, about fifteen minutes. Once dry, use cake decorating gel to add eyes and other features.Whip up a batch of cupcakes while the marshmallows are drying. Once the cakes cool, add a dollop of whipped cream, an edible cupcake topper and a shake or two fo sprinkles and have a spooky fun feast!

8 comments:

  1. I love this idea!!! I'm buying marshmallows next time I'm at the store!!! I wonder what happens if you put your pretty new creations in the microwave! Awesome. Super Awesome Jek!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!
    Im from Chile and Im wondering where I could find these color gels and decorations for the cupcakes on internet, because I can not find them here. I have only seen some vegetal colors (like sand, no gel.
    If you could help I will appreciate so much. I dont know "food vocabulary" in english because I speak spanish,so I dont know how to search them at google.
    =(
    I hope you can help me to search these things on internet or bring me some vocabulary to do it, please!
    I love the idea, so I just want to try!
    Thank you very much for sharing this good idea and I hope I did not disturb you with my ignorances.

    Winnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Winnie!

    I could not find a contact email for you so I hope you check back. Try Wilton cake for ideas and Amazon also:

    http://www.cupcakefun.com/
    http://www.mccormick.com/content.cfm?id=10869
    http://www.amazon.com/Ateco-1106-Food-Coloring-colors/dp/B00004S1C5/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1197145015&sr=8-2
    http://www.surlatable.com/product/food+color+gels%2C+set+of+12++.do?search=basic&keyword=food+color&sortby=gsa&asc=true&page=all

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cute!!!
    When you say "jumbo" marshmallows, are those the regular big ones? I may try this for snacks at my DD's birthday next week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is BRILLIANT and can be applied in sooo many ways . . .Easter, b-day cakes, Christmas. WOW thanks for the great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Dawn- yes just the regular big marshmallows...make sure to use alot of rice flour, cornstarch or powder sugar so the marshmallow doesn't stick to the rolling pin!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These marshmallow treats look SO GOOD! And very fun to make... I'm writing from bulbinblue.com, a non-profit website for creative ideas, crafts and recipes. We'd love to feature your tutorial in our upcoming Halloween section. If you are interested, please e-mail us at blueteam@bulbinblue.com
    Sincerely,
    The Blue Team

    ReplyDelete